Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Food Preparation

For many years, I used running as the primary method of controlling my weight. I found that to be a losing battle.

If I was training for a race, I usually was okay. However, I found it hard to make good eating choices when running a lot since I was always so hungry.A few years ago, preparing my own food became my primary method of controlling my weight.

I try to have one time-block of about two hours (usually on Sunday) where I prepare chicken breasts, vegetables, some pasta, lean beef, and fish. I eat brown rice when I take the time to prepare it. I eat oatmeal almost daily. I eat lots of apples and bananas.I tupperware the food and heat it up during the week as needed.

I usually take at least one tupperware bowl with me to work.

"Never eat anything from a bag" is one good food key. Chips, cookies, etc. may taste good, but they have mega-calories and little nutritional value.

I also eat hard-boiled eggs frequently. I drink lots of water. Eat a little better every day and the little things can add up to success in the long-term.

When I speak to people about eating, I tell them they are better off skipping the gym one night to spend one night preparing food. It is not that hard and it pays huge benefits! :)

Of course, I still exercise, but I never achieved a consistent weight until I began preparing the majority of my meals myself. The bottom line is you will feel much better if you do!

So schedule yourself a time THIS WEEK to make your own food, or bad things will happen! :)

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Make sure your not using plastic Tupperware in the microwave. It's been know to leak chemicals. If you need some glass let me know, I have extra.