Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Squatting is Hard to Beat

Did you know squatting, or a variation, is the primary exercise utlized for knee rehab in physical therapy clinics? I am happy to share this information since I love the squat exercise.

Yesterday I had a great training session. Some deep squatting was the cornerstone of the workout.

I squatted 290 lbs for 5 reps for several sets. Today, I can feel I challenged myself yesterday, and I feel great.

Squatting works glutes, quads and obliques(abs), and the small low back muscles extremely well. The deeper the squat, the more the glutes are utilized. Since the glutes are the movement engine of the body, we all need stronger glutes.

I typically start people with body weight but utilize a fairly deep squat. Extra resistance is added quickly while still aiming for depth.

Front squats, back squats, and dumbbell squats are a few variations available. I rotate my exercises and pay close attention to form.

For some with knee problems, squat variations may be necessary. But squatting can actually strengthen knee tendons and ligaments in addition to surrounding musculature. That is why physical therapy clinics utilize the squat.

Make some time to squat this week! Your performance, strength and physique are sure to improve as a result.

Jeff

No comments: