Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Uncertainty, Stress and Exercise

I do not proclaim to be any Wall Street whiz. But you do not have to be Warren Buffett to know these are uncertain times in many respects. I recommend you increase, not decrease, your commitment to physical activity at this time.

Personally, I have used exercise as therapy many times in my life. One time in particular was much more serious than any financial uncertainty. When my Dad passed away a year and a half ago, I hit the gym more than ever. For me, it did not make anything go away but it did make me feel better, allowed some time to pass and gave me some perspective on the situation.



As I look back through my life, I have felt the most stress when my physical activity was lowest. Tons of research also supports the emotional health/exercise connection.

If you have business or personal stress, don't wring your hands. Do something about it. Hit the gym, track, or field for a good workout.

No comments: